What has upset me at the time was the fact that the police stood by and did nothing. These guys were caught on tape assaulting people in front of the court house. Yet, they were allowed to just walk away. The police didn't do a damn thing about it.
Thankfully, there was enough outrage about this that the police and prosecutors were forced to act. They eventually decided to press charges against the four. They were granted bail and told to show up in February 2006.
Well.... February came and went. I didn't hear anything about this case. So I did a little digging on the internet for news. I ran across this little story from 21-Feb-2006.
Bash accused scuffle againNice guys eh? The attacked the same camera man again, and in the same spot!
A CAMERAMAN allegedly bashed by five men outside a court was confronted by one of the men again yesterday.
Channel 7 cameraman Matt Rose was on assignment filming the men who appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on charges of assaulting him.Mr Rose stood in front of the men as they walked from court -- filming at close range -- before one of the alleged bashers shoved the camera back towards his head.
The brief scuffle happened at almost the exact spot in William St where Mr Rose was violently attacked in November last year.
Abdul Sayadi, 24, of Brunswick, Nasser Raad, 27, of North Coburg, Monzer Ramadan, 28, of Coburg, Majed Raad, 21, of Coburg and Bassam Raad, 24, of Meadow Heights, have each been charged with affray and assault.
Mr Sayadi, Mr Ramadan and Nasser Raad are also charged with behaving in a riotous manner.
All five men -- who are family and friends of nine men allegedly involved in a Melbourne terrorist cell -- appeared in court.
Police made an application to adjourn the hearing to gather further evidence and view more footage of the incident.
Magistrate Lisa Hannan extended bail for the five men and ordered them to appear again in the same court on August 1. It is the second time Mr Rose has covered the story since he was attacked.
These types of guys are the same types of guys that are causing problems in Australia. The are of Arab decent. They are quick to anger and usually react with group assaults. This is exactly the same behaviour that triggered the Cronella (Sydney) Beach riots in December. Young Arab-Aussie men respond with extreme violence when told by a life guard to stop harassing sunbathers.
I am dismayed that the police have asked for 6 more months to present a case. WTF? They have videos of these goons attacking people. What more do they need? The reason they are postponing is because the police are afraid of them and their friends. After the riots, the Arab neighborhoods are on edge. The police want to wait for things to cool down, or for the public to forget about the assault so they can quietly drop the charges.
No comments:
Post a Comment